Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

On 11/8/2010 1:23 PM, RogerT wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 11/8/2010 12:14 PM, RogerT wrote:
I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. The
line coming looks like it is about a 1-1/4 inch pipe. The pipe
comes in, then there is a silver steel color knurled fitting, then a
regular reducer fitting, then a street 90 degree L. From there, the
piping goes up to the gas meter that is in the basement.

What I am trying to figure out is, what is that silver steel color
knurled fitting? Whatever it is, it is threaded onto the pipe that
is coming into the house and threaded into the reducer fitting.

Here are two photos:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qx9kl1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15n7syh.jpg

This is in New Jersey (PSE&G is the gas company). Yes, I know I
could try calling the gas company to find out, but it is next to
impossible to get through to them on the phone, and I have already
had them out there twice because I am trying to figure a way to
relocate the meter about one foot over for remodeling. They were no
help (long story), and I didn't think to ask them while they were
there what the knurled fitting is. I have a hunch that the knurled
steel fitting is some kind of gas company tag or marker that they
put on to make sure no one has tampered with the gas line before the
meter. Does anyone know if that's correct or what that fitting is?
Thanks.

It looks like an adapter bushing for electrical conduit to go up a
size. Is it aluminum or plated steel? It could also be a check valve
or flow restrictor if it was installed by the gas company.

TDD

Now that you mention it, it may be aluminum or some kind of alloy. It has
maintained its silver color over the years.

If you can scratch a grove in it with a screwdriver, it's aluminum. Come
to think of it, I've installed bushings on gas lines going
into gas valves. It could simply be a bushing that a gas fitter
had on the truck.

TDD