Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default can I change single switch to combo switch

On Nov 8, 4:19*pm, bud-- wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Nov 4, 3:55 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:51:31 -0500, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:32:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:
[if] only have two wires ... have a switch leg, and not a neutral ....
They are going to fix that in the 2011 code. All switches will need to
have a neutral brought to the box.
For what purpose, pray tell???? *Wire vendors going broke?
To deal with the number of timers and such that are now using the
ground for the return path for the electronics. There is currently a
loophole in the listing standard that allows a half a MA of "leakage
current" to the ground and manufacturers are exploiting that for the
electronics.
It also mitigates the problem for people like the OP and his question.

I have even seen people cheat and use the ground for a neutral, great
way to kill someone in another room.

Does anyone make 4-wire Romex? *I can see that being a necessity for
some work if a neutral will now be required (e.g. retro'ing an older
house with switch legs for installation of a ceiling fan, for one
example... just did that myself a while back, but used 14/3, still no
neutral in wall box) or does that mean that you'd now have to use
Greenfield and THHN?

nate

As came up in a thread recently, you could use 2 2-wire romexes.

Wouldn't that violate the rule about the current in a cable summing to
zero?

nate