Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default can I change single switch to combo switch

wrote:
On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 15:47:24 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
On 11/4/2010 12:44 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:32:02 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message
Ny combo switch, i am referring to one that has a switch on top
of an outlet or vica versa, with the same wires ( 2 ) that are
there now?

No you can't. You need a neutral for the outlet to work. If there
is another two wires spliced together in that box, those would be
your neutral, but if you only have two wires in the box, you only
have a switch leg, and not a neutral

They are going to fix that in the 2011 code. All switches will need
to have a neutral brought to the box.

that's ridiculous, it's much less crowded to bring the power to the
light and then drop a switch leg. What could POSSIBLY be their
reasoning behind this??

I think maybe so devices like motion-sensor/occupancy-sensor
switches will work even if the light fixutre uses compact
fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs.

Exactly.
The informational note in the proposal says
"The provision for a (future) grounded conductor is to
provide power to electronic lighting control devices."

Is there someplace where this proposed new code is posted online? I am
curious as to what it all says, and whether it would apply to single pole
switches or to all switches -- including 3-way switches, for example.