Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

RogerT wrote:

There is an external shutoff valve, although there was even a question about
that for a while. Different gas company reps who came out to the property
said different things about what can and cannot be done, who can do it,
whether there should be an internal main shutoff valve, etc. Originally, I
was thinking of having the gas company install a new line coming in at a
different location and having the meters moved to the outside of the
property. That turned out to be prohibitively expensive and not recommended
by the gas company reps who first came out. They did say, however, that I
should have a main shutoff on the inside as a safety feature. They also
said that I could have a plumber relocate the meters a little to accomodate
what I want to do as long as the meters remain right by where the main line
comes into the building. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like you're good to go, then, since the gas can be isolated for
working. One hopes the valve isn't so old that it (a) is still operable
and (b) seals.

I'd agree that there ought to be a main shutoff too as well as the
individual ones but if they're all within reaching distance of each
other there's really no distinct advantage other than redundancy has
some benefit and convenience of isolating the meters for
maintenance/repair w/o outside access.