Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default can I change single switch to combo switch

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:32:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Boothbay" wrote in message
Ny combo switch, i am referring to one that has a switch on top of an
outlet or vica versa, with the same wires ( 2 ) that are there now?
No you can't. You need a neutral for the outlet to work. If there is
another
two wires spliced together in that box, those would be your neutral, but
if
you only have two wires in the box, you only have a switch leg, and not a
neutral

They are going to fix that in the 2011 code. All switches will need to
have a neutral brought to the box.

I can see it for single pole switches, but it wouldn't make sense for 3ways
where you don't have a constant hot leg.

An interesting point. One end does.

If the purpose is for "electronic lighting control devices" a 3-way
"device" should be able to tap power from a combination of the travelers.

Or, I believe, you could rewire the 3-way to a California 3-way and have
power at both ends.

--
bud--