Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default can I change single switch to combo switch

N8N wrote:
On Nov 4, 3:55 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:51:31 -0500, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:32:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:
[if] only have two wires ... have a switch leg, and not a neutral ...
They are going to fix that in the 2011 code. All switches will need to
have a neutral brought to the box.
For what purpose, pray tell???? Wire vendors going broke?

To deal with the number of timers and such that are now using the
ground for the return path for the electronics. There is currently a
loophole in the listing standard that allows a half a MA of "leakage
current" to the ground and manufacturers are exploiting that for the
electronics.
It also mitigates the problem for people like the OP and his question.

I have even seen people cheat and use the ground for a neutral, great
way to kill someone in another room.

Does anyone make 4-wire Romex? I can see that being a necessity for
some work if a neutral will now be required (e.g. retro'ing an older
house with switch legs for installation of a ceiling fan, for one
example... just did that myself a while back, but used 14/3, still no
neutral in wall box) or does that mean that you'd now have to use
Greenfield and THHN?

nate

As came up in a thread recently, you could use 2 2-wire romexes.

--
bud--