Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default I broke the biggest piece of steel ever!

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Gunner wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 15:52:42 -0400, "Tom Gardner"all@net wrote:

"Ted wrote in message
Libtardopia Lost wrote:
One of my 20 ton presses is a straight-side and not an OBI. The bed
will
move up and down with a big screw and handwheel under the bed. Some
time
in the past, the bed must not have been perpendicular with the ram and
somebody shimmed the 2" thick x 30" x 24" bolster plate 3/16" on one
side. The bolster plate has a 7" hole in the center for blanks and
parts
to drop through.

A set-up man was having a problem getting a die lined up and that's
when
we noticed the crack through the bolster plate running front to back
right through the center. I'm sure it was the 3/16" of shim on one
side
and years and years of beating.

Now I have to see if I can get it welded and ground or do we make a new
one? In any case, I WIN with the biggest piece of steel (cast steel) I
ever broke! It was one of those "Holy Crap!" moments.
Sorry to hear its broke,
But if it is steel, then it would have bent before it broke. My guess is
its CAST iron.
any welding will be a temportary fix for cast in a press situation.
I suggest you think about getting one made out of steel,
That should last the life of the press.
Ted
Dorset
UK.

Good point! I "assumed"...and my favorite addage is "Never Assume".

or cast steel.

And yes..make a new one.

Gunner

I don't have tools big enough. And, the damn thing isn't square, the front
has a big radius or an ellipse or some thing like that. Can't I just
duct-tape it?

I would have one burned out by my steel supply company. They can cut 6
inch plate with their ox acy cnc cutting system and hold better than 1/8
tol. There should be a supplier in your area with a good cutting system,
If not Call Nivert metal in Scranton PA. to get one made.

John