Default Wood Burning Stove - Glass doors always smoked up!

Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
om...
We've got a Stovax (Blenheim) wood burning stove which was rebuilt a
couple of years ago.

Whenever we use it the inside of the glass doors are covered in soot
within only a couple of hours use meaning you can't see the "romantic"
orange flames nor see when you need to put another log on it.

Most other people I know with wood burning stoves say they only need
to clean their glass every couple of months or so - not every day like
I do!

We have a Morso "squirrel" with the air wash system. Burning well
seasoned hardwood (24 hours a day) it gets totally blackened after
about a week. But when we are only burning it for an evening at a
time, the glass will still have some light brown soot deposits after a
night. Giving the store a really hot burn removes the majority of it.
Household ammonia works brilliantly at removing the soot (plus your
nasal hairs/mucous membranes), and for seriously recalcitrant
"creosote" patches, I've used a razor blade in a holder (designed for
removing paint from windows).

We find that a straightforward sopay rag is all that's normally needed
to clean the glass with, occasionally, a little rub with a nylon pot
scourer. I reckon we clean ours every couple of weeks.

--
Chris Green )