Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

RogerT wrote:

It's a larger entrance line because it is actually a 3-unit building with
separate gas for each unit. From the point in the photo, the piping then
goes to 3 separte gas meters, rather than one. I left that part out before
because I didn't want to make the post too complicated. The basement is
being remodeled and I want to be able to get the 3 meters moved about a foot
over. Also, each meter has it's own shutoff valve, but I wanted to be able
to also have a main shutoff valve installed on the main line so all of the
gas for all 3 units could be shut off at once if needed during an emergency
etc. That was why I had the gas company out there a couple of times, but
that's a whole other story.

OK, that explains the size...

There isn't an external shutoff??? I'd think that a Code violation of
first order if not.

If there is, why do you need the gas company at all since it's all
inside the building? Or, does NJ have requirement that anything on
upstream side of meter _must_ be done by the utility? (Here, anything
in the residence is fair game for a qualified technician).