Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
RogerT wrote the following:
I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. The
line coming looks like it is about a 1-1/4 inch pipe. The pipe comes
in, then there is a silver steel color knurled fitting, then a regular
reducer fitting, then a street 90 degree L. From there, the piping goes
up to the gas meter that is in the basement.

What I am trying to figure out is, what is that silver steel color
knurled fitting? Whatever it is, it is threaded onto the pipe that is
coming into the house and threaded into the reducer fitting.

Here are two photos:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qx9kl1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15n7syh.jpg

This is in New Jersey (PSE&G is the gas company). Yes, I know I could
try calling the gas company to find out, but it is next to impossible to
get through to them on the phone, and I have already had them out there
twice because I am trying to figure a way to relocate the meter about one
foot over for remodeling. They were no help (long story), and I didn't
think to ask them while they were there what the knurled fitting is. I
have a hunch that the knurled steel fitting is some kind of gas company
tag or marker that they put on to make sure no one has tampered with the
gas line before the meter. Does anyone know if that's correct or what
that fitting is?

Thanks.

Let me be the first to make a wild ass guess.
Maybe it is like a lock nut. You know, a second threaded nut to keep the
other part from backing out. Because this is a potentially explosive gas
line, it might be required
I don't have NG at my house.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I worked at a gas company for 40 years, and I have never seen such a fitting
in use, that doesn't mean they didn't use something similar over the past
150 years, things kept changing over the years. If I was to make a wild
guess, and since you seem to have a steel service line, I would venture a
guess that it is part of an insulating fitting to isolate the house ground
from the gas service line, so that the house ground doesn't counter the
effects of anodes installed on the mains to prevent corrosion.