Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

RogerT wrote the following:
I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. The line
coming looks like it is about a 1-1/4 inch pipe. The pipe comes in, then
there is a silver steel color knurled fitting, then a regular reducer
fitting, then a street 90 degree L. From there, the piping goes up to the
gas meter that is in the basement.

What I am trying to figure out is, what is that silver steel color knurled
fitting? Whatever it is, it is threaded onto the pipe that is coming into
the house and threaded into the reducer fitting.

Here are two photos:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qx9kl1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15n7syh.jpg

This is in New Jersey (PSE&G is the gas company). Yes, I know I could try
calling the gas company to find out, but it is next to impossible to get
through to them on the phone, and I have already had them out there twice
because I am trying to figure a way to relocate the meter about one foot
over for remodeling. They were no help (long story), and I didn't think to
ask them while they were there what the knurled fitting is. I have a hunch
that the knurled steel fitting is some kind of gas company tag or marker
that they put on to make sure no one has tampered with the gas line before
the meter. Does anyone know if that's correct or what that fitting is?

Thanks.

Let me be the first to make a wild ass guess.
Maybe it is like a lock nut. You know, a second threaded nut to keep the
other part from backing out. Because this is a potentially explosive gas
line, it might be required
I don't have NG at my house.

--

Bill