Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 20:40:34 +0000 (UTC) Meat Plow
wrote in Message id: :

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 13:28:06 -0700, whit3rd wrote:

[...]

Have you considered using a solid-state disk? There are IDE adapters
that take CF memory cards, it could be a simple matter to replace the
old drive with something very quiet indeed. Something that won't every
become noisy.

Only problem is I/O speed. I don't have enough experience with SSD other
than what's in my netbook. But I'm thinking the data throughput may be
insufficient for a large number of tracks with a lot going on. And they
are expensive also. Nearest thing i could find was a 40 gig Intel SATA II
SSD.

I don't think that would be a problem, but not being at all familiar with
audio equipment, so I could be wrong. There's CF out there that supports
600X write speeds and also support UDMA. I have a Transcend 8GB CF that
gets 25MB/s sustained write speeds.