Hylourgos

Default Best way to enlarge cast iron hole in clamp?

(Stan Graves) wrote in message . com...
(Hylourgos) wrote in message . com...
Anyway, I'm thinking that the only way to salvage these is to bore out
one side of the non-threaded hole until it is parallel with the
threaded hole--about 1/4" by my estimation. The hole is 1" dia., 3"
deep, cast iron.

Taking off 1/4" of metal to get the holes parallel seems like a lot.
The hole is suppose to be loose, but enlarging a 4/4" hole to 5/4" in
one direction seems excessive.

You might want to attack the problem where the screw attaches to the
jaw. Remove the screw from the moving jaw, and then try to thread
everything together. This should let you see exactly how far off the
alignment is. You might be able to fix the attachment point with a
lot less metal removal than filing out the other hole.

--Stan Graves

Also a good suggestion. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, H.