Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Block Planes?

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:28:25 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Nov 6, 3:02*pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
Larry Blanchard writes:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 00:11:44 +0000, Doug White wrote:

With Christmas coming, I'm thinking I could finally get myself a good
block plane. *I've seen decent reviews of Veritas's planes, and Lie
Nelson is probably too pricey. *None of the reviews I've read put the
Stanleys in the same general class as the Veritas planes.

Your best bet for the money is an *old* Stanley. *All the info you need
on the 9 1/2 and the 60 or 60 1/2 can be found at:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

If you're gonna get an old stanley, look for the #18.

scott

Knuckle joint plane, one of the coolest looking ones.
The 18 I bought at a flea market in 1978 for $3.00 has
seen me through nearly every project since.

I picked up a #65-1/2 (complete with a Hock blade) about a decade and
a half ago, and it has served me well. I have to sharpen the darned
blade frequently, though. (Every two or three years.)

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck