Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Design suggestions

I have decided to take on building a kitchen island as my first real
furniture project. I was originally going to use cherry from a tree
we felled on the property. But after milling some of it I realized
that this is going to take a looooong time. So, I'm now thinking of
going instead with birds-eye maple and paduk. The reason for this is
I already build a bar top in the kitchen using these woods:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...82_tU2G8-L.jpg

The current hand-me down island can be seen in the background. I want
to build something like this:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...14555892_dCd5m

The top in the example is not what we will do, we are still thinking
about that. Anyway, the basic design of the base in the picture is
what I am looking for, but it is the material's and where to use them
I am looking for suggestions about.

Thanks
Jim