Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_3_] RP[_3_] is offline

Default Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?

On Nov 4, 10:42*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 3, 10:25*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

On 11/3/10 8:54 PM, wrote:

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 17:33:05 -0500,
wrote:

On 11/3/10 4:54 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/3/2010 1:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery
bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain
after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a pretty good
job.

It's been discussed here a number of times in the past. AAMOF, nothing
work like a brown paper bag on the final coat of shellac a week after it
cures.

I've never used shellac.
What about it makes the paper so good?
What's it doing to the shellac?
* The friction heats the shellac just enough to burnish it, and it is
just rough enough to both cause the friction and then burnish it super
smooth.

Serious? * *Tell me you're not just making that up (like some guys in
here). *:-)
Makes sense to me.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Oak rust, suspended in animal fat and rubbed in with Festool
Brownbagpaper™ is the ticket for me.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that was the cutting board recipe. Does that work for
everything Robatoy? I think I'll try it on my next set o' cabinets...

RP