Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Hot wire cutter question, power supply

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
(...)

But I need to point one thing out: A transformer feeding a resistive
load like a hot wire is not an inductive load unless the transformer in
question has extremely large leakage inductance (transformers in
tombstone welders would qualify).

This is a puzzlement for me, Joe.

Just now I modeled a 1:1 transformer in SPICE
and loaded the output with a selection of
different resistances.

While driving the input with 60 Hz, I noticed
that the primary voltage peaked before the
primary current did at about ~89 degrees
separation with the secondary loaded at 1
ohm through 100K ohms.

That all looks inductively reactive to me.
What did I do wrong? Are you talking about
saturated core mode?

Thanks!

--Winston