Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default My latest invention: Bicycle Tire Chains

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 15:21:29 -0700, Rich Grise

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:40:23 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

My first thought was wrap the tire with cable. but then you could not
use caliper brakes. Same as with Pete's idea. Soo..option #2

Drive a bunch of short tacks through a piece of metal pallet banding;
let a little air out of the tires; put the band on; crimp it and air
up the tire.

This one's pretty clever, but could I grab the same kind of market share
with something like this (how many people have a band crimper, and what
happens when the snow melts?) as could be grabbed by clever marketing of
chains?

Thanks!
Rich

OK, this group is more likely to own a bandsaw blade welder. If you go
into production, they would be pre-welded for differnet size tires.

I have seen something like that. They used a stainless band with welded
on lugs. The band also had clips that wrapped the tire rubber every few
inches. You let out a few pounds, wrapped this gizmo on, installed an
included clip and a couple small screws to lock the clip and aired up.

I think they were the same idea as the track kit's that were sold for
tractors and skid steers.

--
Steve W.