Juergen Hannappel

Default Finish for oak end tables

"stoutman" .@. writes:

[...]

Many improvements have been made in clear coat finishes. They used shellac
back then because they didn't have the choices we have today. Why not use
what's best for a particular application? Table tops can take a hech of a
beating. Shellac as a Top Coat is not as durable as some other finishes
(polyurethane). However, as you mentioned, shellac is easier to repair.
But I would rather spend my time doing other things then constantly
repairing finishes.

.... or use a "natural" and robust finish, like wax. My parents have a
maple kitchen table wich was waxed once, about 15 years ago, and
although it's not spared anything looks as good as new. The only stain
that seems to be paermanent was caused by a mushroom, which let it's
spores fall onto the table, giving an interesting pattern, because it
traced the mushrooms gills.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23