stoutman

Default Finish for oak end tables

what do you think they used before varnish and poly?

I also don't use candles to light my house, I use some of them new fancy
light bulbs.

Many improvements have been made in clear coat finishes. They used shellac
back then because they didn't have the choices we have today. Why not use
what's best for a particular application? Table tops can take a hech of a
beating. Shellac as a Top Coat is not as durable as some other finishes
(polyurethane). However, as you mentioned, shellac is easier to repair.
But I would rather spend my time doing other things then constantly
repairing finishes.

"js" wrote in message
read up on it here. Alcohol will soften it if its strong enough, but how
often you going to have alcohol greater than 50% on a table? and it isn't
"use it on kitchen counters water resistant, but more than suitable for

what
you want to use it for. what do you think they used before varnish and

poly?
.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1206

"js" wrote in message
Shellac is extremely water resistant. and yes, its durable, and easy

repair.

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message

From what I have read, shellac is not known for its water resistance
properties.

And is it the best finish for a table top with regard to

durability?????

"js" wrote in message
shellac. Water resistant. I would imagine the Amish use this as

well.

"Brian Turner" wrote in message
om...
I am kind of new to woodworking and am building furniture for our
family room. I am building a TV stand and end tables out of red

oak.
I am very close to Amish country in Ohio and found out that they

use
catalytic varnish for the top coat finish. I can't seem to find
catalytic varnish sold in local woodworking stores as it seems to

be
commercial product. Can anyone tell me a comparable finish to use

for
the DIY wood worker or a source for catalytic varnish? Since the
tables are being used in the family room they need to be resistant

water and other liquids when setting or spilling glasses or cups

of
beverages on the tables. Thanks in advance for your help.