Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Chisels

whit3rd wrote:
On Nov 3, 5:51 am, Larry wrote:
On 2010-11-02 14:19:11 -0400, said:

I bought a set of Irwin Marples (Blue Chip/Bevel edged) chisels a
while back. Supposedly, they can be used with mallet as well as by hand.

Assume I wish to do M& T joinery in soft wood.

It crushes too easily for my tastes. Sharpness of the chisel is key.

I've dovetailed plywood and soft cedar... and it's VERY challenging.
Oak, on the other hand, with a sharp chisel, is easy.
Do your chisel work in hard wood first, you might graduate
to the soft stuff eventually.

The projects I have in mind use SYP. That's a hard enough soft wood to
work okay, no?

Bill