Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default DB connectors

On Nov 4, 4:44*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:19:48 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

can someone suggest a good series of parts for this?

Crimpers for those things need to be high quality, and the decent ones
cost $$$.

I guess I'll find out. I plan to crimp them with whatever I can come
up with and then solder before inserting. Total cost was under $20 so
I'm not out much if it don't work. Plan "B" would be to hire the job
out and get the solder type.

Crimping is VERY RELIABLE and soldering doesn't help (in fact,
the crimp terminals are too easy to solder; adding solder can easily
make them the wrong shape to fit). The crimp requirement, though,
is a good fitting crimp tool AND the exact stranded-wire size range.

Exactly what size IS the stranded wire you're using?

With a Molex crimp tool, you will want to use only Molex crimp pins,
and shells. It might take a magnifier to seat the pin in the crimper
correctly, and to get the wire in the hole just right...