Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Bowling Ball Cannon

wrote in message
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bar/2044707861.html

He claims half mile range. What would the muzzle velocity have to be
to chunk a bowling ball that far?

They are a lot of fun, and I have seen videos of them. But, this one
............. what a POS fab job!

I want to make one, but use an inflatable ball to block the powder charge,
and just use it in my little (900 people) community for a noisemaker on
special occasions. Should make a resounding report. I had one explosion
with the gopher propane/oxygen system that rolled around the canyons and
hills for a good five seconds. I have read that they will blow out windows
at a close range, and can approach 200 db or more.

A simple dead cylinder, and a little imagination is all it takes. Some
gunpowder, some rope fuse from a gun show. A fellow could buy old gunpowder
fairly cheap from reloaders, I'd imagine. Would that burn too hot, and
create too much pressure? What would be the best gunpowder so as not to
overload it? But with the essentially open end, the pressures should not be
too bad. Finding a reasonably priced source of bowling balls might be
difficult. One fellow let his hang from a chain when not in use, used it as
a bell if anyone came snooping.............

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.