Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default DB connectors

I just recently became aware of the high quality machined contacts for sub-D
connectors.
It turns out that the contacts' part numbers are the same as the contacts
used in some of the circular Amphenol, Bendix, Matrix etc connectors, such
as those utilized by aerospace avionics equipment.

Hand crimping can get old fast even with quality hand tools. Making a
fixture that can allow the hand crimper to be bench mounted would be a bit
easier, having only to swing one handle instead of repeatedly squeezing
handles together.
Also, having a surface to rest the "feed" hand on allow for easier placement
of the contact and the wire end.

I've worked in instrument assembly fabrication, and even with a foot
switch-actuated AMP terminating machine, it's fairly monotonous. I remember
the lighting fixture on that machine didn't help to see the termination area
behind a clear safety shield.

I'm quite sure that soldering the PT06 type circular connectors with their
fixed position, exposed solder cups is a lot easier than poking terminated
rear-loaded wires into empty connector bodies with environmental sealing.

An organized work area is paramount to frustration-free assembly of most any
multi-contact, miniature connector. The manufacturers' manuals may contain
the info regarding a secure holder for the connector, and logical direction
to install the wires.. but I found that very good lighting, a magnifier lamp
and an enlarged drawing with clearly marked hole designations makes assembly
fairly easy and very likely mistake-proof.

Having an adjustable holder or some other arrangement to support the wires
while having the prepped ends held near the connector is a major convenience
and prevents disruptions.

If I ever needed to do a lot of connector wiring, I have hot wire strippers,
resistance soldering and conventional soldering stations and a wide variety
of hand crimpers, but I'd prefer to solder wires to contacts whenever the
wire bundles have the neccessary support/strain relief to prevent vibration
fatigue.
Crimping generally has more significance when power connectors carry more
current.

--
WB

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

Heh -- I was unaware of the other option, most of the time that I've spent
in the presence of crimped connections has been at an aerospace company.

Soldering is the way to go if you don't want to sign up for proper tools.
I think if I were doing the job all day, and had the right set up, that
I'd be faster crimping than soldering. But you need all those special
tools.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services