Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default can I change single switch to combo switch

On 11/4/2010 12:44 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:32:02 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message
Ny combo switch, i am referring to one that has a switch on top of an
outlet or vica versa, with the same wires ( 2 ) that are there now?

No you can't. You need a neutral for the outlet to work. If there is another
two wires spliced together in that box, those would be your neutral, but if
you only have two wires in the box, you only have a switch leg, and not a
neutral

They are going to fix that in the 2011 code. All switches will need to
have a neutral brought to the box.

that's ridiculous, it's much less crowded to bring the power to the
light and then drop a switch leg. What could POSSIBLY be their
reasoning behind this??

--
Steve Barker