Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Just a few thou can ruin a joint.

In article ,
Leon wrote:

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Upscale wrote:

Well of course it really comes down to opinion and individual preference
in this instance. For my own needs and preferences, I stand by my
statement of opinion that the Kerfmaker is an unnecessary, exorbitantly
priced, and overrated tool. I'll stick with the old method, accurate,
tried and true in my experience, and described in the past on the rec,
of cutting any old piece of scrap as a guide. YMMV and your opinion
may be different. That's what makes the world and usenet go round.

I'll agree with your assessment that the Kerfmaker is unnecessary, The joint
can be cut with a hand held circular saw with no real need for a TS which
will cost much more. I agree with your assessment that the Kerfmaker is
exorbitantly priced, all of Bridge City Tools are, yet I own several of
their tools.

If you actually cut half lap joints on a regular basis or avoid them because
they can be a lot of trouble to reproduce accurately over and over than, I
don't agree that the tool is overrated, it does exactly what it is designed
to do with VERY little effort and chance of error. If would be overrated if
it showed even a hint of not being able to do what it was designed to do,
perfectly. There is no flaw in the design and if the joint does not come
out correctly it is not the fault of the Kerfmaker.

Unless you have actually used one your assumption that it is overrated is
not valid. If you have used one and still feel that it is over rated you
really don't have the skill to do accurate work any way.

Now that is not to say that you are not a skilled woodworker, it is only to
indicate that this tool makes as much sense and works as dependably as an
electric on/off switch on a corded tool. You can stop and start an electric
power tool by simply plugging it in and unplugging the power cord but life
is soooo much easier if you don't have to do that every time you want to use
the tool.

I concede your point about the tool not being overrated. I am sure it does
work very well for its intended purpose and I do like the design and
implementation. I still would call it unnecessary, as it takes less than
a minute to cut a piece of stock that will do precisely the same thing.
And that method doesn't anything to be recalibrated if you change blades.