Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DB connectors

On 2010-11-05, Karl Townsend wrote:
Some possibilities above -- depending on which style of crimp
you need.

Good Luck,
DoN.

DoN, I've only got four pins to connect so the ribbon option is out.
This is a one time job so I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to
buy the tool on eBay, if you wouldn't mind pointing out the correct
tool.

See my other response to your other post.

Karl

DoN, I've been surfing for crimp tool and found this:
http://www.dataaccessories.com/dsub.html

The pins sure look like a molex type to me on the page. Anyway, I'll
pop for $50 if this solves my little problem.

They are smaller than the Molex pins -- so your existing crimper
won't do. But the one which I found on eBay last night (and just
confirmed by looking at my crimper tonight in the previous article) is
the right one.

Looks as though you can get the pins in as few as 100 per page
for $9.50.

You also want the T3001 insertion/extraction tool. The copper
colored end (red handle) is for insertion, the silver colored end (white
handle) is for extraction. It is split and will pass over the wire to
reach down and release the pin from the grip of the connector body.

I'm not sure about the T3002 crimp tool however. It looks
pretty cheap, but might do what you need. Hmm ... $42.50! Go for the
eBay one - it is much better, and only around $28.00 last night (well
under $29.00 at least). (I didn't bookmark the auction, so I'm not sure
whether the price is still valid.) Try for that first, at least.

I see the 9-pin, 15-pin, 25-pin, 37-pin and 50-pin (most
mis-named with "DB" at the beginning. This is correct only for the DB25
(the 'B' is for the size of the shell. "DA" is the 15-pin, "DB" is the
common 25-pin which caused all the confusion, "DC" is the 37-pin, "DD"
is the 50-pin, and "DE" is the 9-pin (it got named after the others had
been in production for a while, which is why it is out of sequence. :-)

The prices on the connectors look pretty good. (Actually *very*
good.)

You'll still want to get backshells for them of some flavor.
What flavor may depend on the style of wire you are feeding into it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564