Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DB connectors

On 2010-11-06, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Most High tech companies crimped. We had massive heavy duty trays
like tool boxes - but bigger - a hole 6' tall of various size of crimps.

If you solder - try not to get to much solder wicking up into the wire
as it will stiffen that point of entry and might make it hard to put on
the shell or become brittle of sorts - and crack there.

Yes -- the anti-wicking tweezers prevent this and allow some
multi-stranded flex between the back of the connector and the start of
the insulation. That reduces (but does not eliminate) vibration induced
failure. (Individual heat-shrink sleeving over the back of solder-pot
pins and the insulation will help greatly.)

NASA and high tech companies use 'anti-skating' tools - a pliers with
a small split tube that is drilled out for the wire and also the
insulation.

Anti-Wicking tweezers.

Vibration induced failure is a lot more expensive to fix if the
device is in space at the time of failure. :-)

A perfect fit is made - clamp on - solder - the pliers or
clamp cools the wire and insulator (plastic) and prevents it from
wicking solder or making a nasty shaped / colored insulator plastic.
Normally low grade metal - e.g. pot metal - easy to drill and fit.

The ones which I have mostly seen are tweezers with what looks
like a bullet shape between the tips. It splits in half, and has a
small hole at the small end to heat-sink the wire, and a larger hole
concentric with that in the rest of the "bullet" to support the
insulation, and to set a specific length of uninsulated wire after the
end of the insulation and before the solder.

I do have one pair which are not as elaborate -- a pair of plates
on the tips with just a wire diameter hole through the join. It
accomplishes the same task -- but does not support the insulation during
the soldering.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564