Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DB connectors

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Most High tech companies crimped. We had massive heavy duty trays
like tool boxes - but bigger - a hole 6' tall of various size of crimps.

If you solder - try not to get to much solder wicking up into the wire
as it will stiffen that point of entry and might make it hard to put on
the shell or become brittle of sorts - and crack there.

NASA and high tech companies use 'anti-skating' tools - a pliers with
a small split tube that is drilled out for the wire and also the
insulation. A perfect fit is made - clamp on - solder - the pliers or
clamp cools the wire and insulator (plastic) and prevents it from
wicking solder or making a nasty shaped / colored insulator plastic.
Normally low grade metal - e.g. pot metal - easy to drill and fit.

Martin

On 11/5/2010 1:47 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
snip

Heh -- I was unaware of the other option, most of the time that I've
spent in the presence of crimped connections has been at an aerospace
company.

Soldering is the way to go if you don't want to sign up for proper
tools. I think if I were doing the job all day, and had the right set
up, that I'd be faster crimping than soldering. But you need all those
special tools.

We used AMP air powered crimping machines. They used more air than
anything else in the factory.

enough left over to pay them.