Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to Insulate An Underground Sprinkler Vault

On Nov 5, 3:30*pm, Kate wrote:
What is the best way to go about this?

I have some great insulation that I want to cut and size to fill a small
underground area that holds my sprinkler cut off handles.

I call it a vault, but it is simply a dirt hole with a piece of metal
around it to keep the dirt from falling inside, and a plastic lid.

Can I just put the insulation directly into the hole, or do I need to
put plastic over the lid, on top of the dirt, to keep it dry?
My feeling is that when the snow melts, it will dampen the insulation
and freeze it.

Also, could I just put the insulation inside of a plastic bag to keep it
dry, or will this defeat the purpose.

I know this is such a small thing, but it boggles my mind.

Many thanks!

Unless the insulation extends down past the frost line it will do
little good. You mention snow and freeze. This requires you to
winterize the system. Turn off the water inside the house and blow
out the pipes with a compressor.