Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snip

I am in regular contact with the Roland Service Dept. UK. They do not
have a specific solution, though are very helpful. This is, after all,
an obsolete piece of equipment, designed for a 40Gb hard drive, that
worked very well. Shame you can't buy the drives any more.

It would be rather neat, though, to find a working solution!

Gareth.

Interestingly, I needed a 40GB HDD just last week to repair a Fostex
multitracker. Like you, I was struggling to find one until a friend of
mine who runs a computer repair shop, pointed me at a local computer
recycler that he knew. He had 40GB drives "coming out of his ears" was his
exact phrase, and was only too happy to let me relieve him of one for
free. My computer repair mate said that he usually had them stacked up as
well, left over from upgrades, and would have been able to help me had he
not just had a big clear-out a few days before !

Any computer repair shops or recycling agencies in your area that you
could try, Gareth ?

Arfa

I know I could have gone down that route, but I have an old drive myself
that works, its just that it sounds like an Airbus with a blown engine.
The new drive I bought is very very quiet - part of the reason I bought it.
Don't forget we are talking a digital recorder where it is very likely the
machine will be in the same room as the subject being recorded, so noise is
definitely an issue.

The 2480 is not mine, I am repairing it for a customer. More importantly,
I am hoping to find a generic solution to a generic problem here.

The cloning idea sounds great - you can use any off the shelf drive of any
size and make it look like the original, a perfect solution in my opinion,
as this is (hopefully) always going to work. I am not always going to have
the time or inclination to hunt round computer shops for weird old ****

I'm getting an old PC out tomorrow and trying this cloning malarky.

Thanks,

Gareth.