Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 22:57:27 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 22:05:01 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:42:55 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

Interesting stuff guys. Thanks.

In this case there is no OS on the disk at all, the 2480 does not
boot from it.
I have successfully upgraded the 2480's OS via MIDI onto its onboard
Flash, with no valid hard drive installed. The drive is purely
storage.

Does this make things any easier?
Is cloning the new drive from the working (noisy) one a viable
proposition?

Cheers,

Gareth.

It is viable. Would need to be done in a PC, bit for Bit copy. But
I'm not sure if you need to clone it without me knowing the file
system. I snuck in here late, just what is the equipment. I've spent
a couple decades with digital recorders from Fostex, Otari and DVR
recorders from SA, Samsung and Cisco. The firmware embedded OS isn't
a problem but I'd like to do a little research on what a 2840 is.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=339

Its kinda old in technology terms, but not that old really.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Have you contacted Roland support? That would be the first thing I
would do. Obviously there is content on the noisy hard drive you wish
to transfer and I am certain this is not a unique situation that
Roland/Boss would have support for.

--

I am in regular contact with the Roland Service Dept. UK. They do not
have a specific solution, though are very helpful. This is, after all,

It would be rather neat, though, to find a working solution!

Gareth.

Well I'm all for cloning using a PC as long as the cloning software
recognizes the structure of the disk partitioning. Most drives these days
have a size limit jumper if your device's AT bios doesn't recognize
drives greater that 137 GB. Good luck.