Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On 11/05/2010 10:22 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/5/10 11:48 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I'd forgo the now outdated runs of CAT-anything and go wireless for
internet
stuff.

I agree. Even audio and video are going wifi. I don't know how the
hi-def stuff looks in wifi... it's probably not up to snuff, yet. But we
watch movies on our Wii, through Netflix and they come into the house
via internet which is supplied by the cable company though the cable.
Once it hits the router, it's going wifi to the Wii and the audio and
video on the internet streamed movies often looks and sounds better than
the digital comcast cable programs.

Well, having struggled with HD 1080 over wireless 802.11n with no joy
(stuttering/jerky picture/sound), and then draping a 50' cat5e cable
from the router to the DirecTV with perfect results, I can't say
wireless is ready for HDTV. I'm using TVersity and Mediatomb on a
Windows and linux PC respectively. Both PC's are dual core 3.2GHzand do
fine streaming over 100Mb wire.