Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Lathe Levelling - how level?

On Nov 5, 12:49*pm, "Dave H."
wrote:
May seem a daft question, but how much discrepancy in levelling the bed is
too much?

I'm aware it's bed twist that really matters, rather than end-to-end or
exact side-to-side levelling, but how much twist?

I've found that my grandad's WW1 clinometer (used for setting up the sights
on Vickers .303 machine guns - he was the final inspector in one of the
factories!) is accurate to 1 minute of angle , which I think is an inch in
about 95 yards, and can be set +/- 15 degrees consistently- accurate enough,
too accurate?

Thanks all,

Dave H.

Try it. The real test is if it can turn a cylinder parallel to the
accuracy you need (or can measure). Uneven wear and misadjustment may
cause more error than the twist.

The bubble on my 12" South Bend Lathe level moves about 1/32" per
thousandth.

jsw