Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My latest invention: Bicycle Tire Chains

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:35:31 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

anorton wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Rich Grise wrote:

Everybody knows about tire chains. I'd like to see how they're specified,
especially the "T" where the transverse chains attach to the
circumferential ones.

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

The design is trivial, but I'd have to specify what chain, the "T"
connections, and some kind of connector that's got length compliance, to
accommodate variations in tire diameter and etc.

So, any suggestions on a specific chain, some kind of "T", and a
connector?

Thanks,
Rich

Simpler, pieces of small square tubing strapped to the tire with
zip-ties. Use those stainless zip-ties if you're feeling fancy, but the
basic black quality ones should be fine for a season and easy to cut off
at the end of the season. No need for any circumferential chains, since
the spokes will keep the zip ties from moving anywhere.

You are forgetting that the brakes still have to clamp the rim.

You think the brakes won't grab on those zip-ties? And don't all the
"performance" bikes have disk brakes anyway making that a non issue?

What? Shouldn't they be equipped with the more efficient DRUM BRAKES?
snort

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim