Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:21:10 +0900 "Brenda Ann"
wrote in Message id:
:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to replace a faulty disk drive on a Roland VS2480 (digital
audio multitrack recorder). The likely problem (according to Roland
Service) is that the new IDE drive is too large for the 2480 to format
correctly.

It goes through the format process of making 4 10GB partitions but always
fails at the end of it. If you put the failed drive into a PC you can see
4 FAT 32 10G drive icons, so the machine is seeing and writing to the
drive. If you turn on the "physical format" option, the formatting takes
about 8 hours, and again fails right at the end. I've tried all jumper
combinations Master/slave etc.

I have an old 80G Maxtor drive that the 2480 WILL format, though it is old
and very noisy. The drive I have bought is a Western Digital 160Gb PATA
drive. (WD1600AAJB)

You will likely need a slightly smaller drive. The old addressing system was
only good to 127GB, so the largest you can likely use is a 120GB drive.

^^^^^
137GB.