Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:09:45 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a faulty disk drive on a Roland VS2480 (digital audio
multitrack recorder). The likely problem (according to Roland Service) is
that the new IDE drive is too large for the 2480 to format correctly.

BTW, big drives make more heat, iiuc, even when they're doing no more
work. Is that true, people?

If so, does your roland provide adquate ventilation for a bigger
drive. What will happen if it doesn't.

Anyhow, a reason to look for an old small drive.

Go to computer swap meets. Call or email your local ham radio club--
they run the computer swap meets, and ask them to put something in
their newsletter saying what you want. The computer guys in the club
probably have loads of small hd's around and don't know what to do
with them.

For most places the next hamfest isn't until spring, but see if you
can pick it up at the guys house or come to one of their meetings if
he goes to the meetings.

To find out where hamfests (swapmeets with licensing exams, etc.) are,
got to www.arrl.com or org and click on hamfests. Put in your
zipcode and 50 miles or so and they will give you the ham radio clubs
that still have hamfests. Some have stopped, not sure of the easiest
way to find them.

Also, do you belong to a computer user group. They're like ham radio
clubs but were started for small computers. There are 3 or 4 clubs
in the Baltimore area. I used to go. They were given free software
which they looked at and then gave away to members, or even
non-members who showed up iirc. They used to answer technical
questions, and I guess I stopped going when I found out about Usenet.

IF you ask nice, they too will put your request in the newsletter.
They may charge for classified ads, or just offer them 5 dollars.
Only about 50% of the ham radio events involve computers and fewer of
the actual members. User groups are 100% computer fans. And they
probably have loads of hardware they've never used.