Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TwoGuns TwoGuns is offline

Default My latest invention: Bicycle Tire Chains

On Nov 4, 6:10*pm, Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

Sheet metal screws from inside out, tire liner, tube.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

I used the screws on my bicycles to. They work great but require quite
a bit more pedaling effort. Doing the front tire is the most
important. You get better results with front and rear though.

A set of cables are easy to make also. Just keep the two outside
cables on the rubber part of the tire. Run short cable cross pieces
and make the sets just long enough to fit over an uninflated tire.
Slip them on and put the wheels on the bike and fill with air. They
will hold like super glue if you get the length just perfect. Your
brake calipers will clear them also because they are above the rims.
My tie idea in another post works great on motorcycles and it would
work on bicycles with disc brakes also but not rim type brakes.

DL.