stoutman

Default Finish for oak end tables

I have Never used shellac, but I have read about it.

In Understanding Wood Finishes (my finishing Bible) by Flexner, he says that
"shellac is probably best known for its limited resistance to water,
alcohol, heat, and alkalis..."

Damaged by alcoholic beverages, heat will soften it...

"Because of shellac's POOR resistance to water, alcohol heat, and alkali,
its NOT the best finish for tabletops or other surfaces that are subject to
frequent use. But can be used almost everywhere else."

Again, I have never used shellac, this is what Flexner has written (a well
respected finisher).

"js" wrote in message
Shellac is extremely water resistant. and yes, its durable, and easy to
repair.

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message news:h7TOb.84599$sv6.199376@attbi_s52...
From what I have read, shellac is not known for its water resistance
properties.

And is it the best finish for a table top with regard to durability?????

"js" wrote in message
shellac. Water resistant. I would imagine the Amish use this as well.

"Brian Turner" wrote in message
om...
I am kind of new to woodworking and am building furniture for our
family room. I am building a TV stand and end tables out of red

oak.
I am very close to Amish country in Ohio and found out that they use
catalytic varnish for the top coat finish. I can't seem to find
catalytic varnish sold in local woodworking stores as it seems to be

commercial product. Can anyone tell me a comparable finish to use

for
the DIY wood worker or a source for catalytic varnish? Since the
tables are being used in the family room they need to be resistant

water and other liquids when setting or spilling glasses or cups of
beverages on the tables. Thanks in advance for your help.