Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Generator Question

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Country wrote the following:
I figure since the generator sits in storage for long periods if I run
all the gas out of the carburetor then it is not as likely to gum up
versus leaving the fuel pump and carburetor full of fuel to eventually
evaporate.

So is my thinking about that right? Or does it really matter at all?

David

I just shut off the generator and then close the fuel valve. Could it be
the diaphragm/gaskets dried out?
Since power failures are quite common in my rural area (power lines
running through roadside tree branches), I run the generator on occasion
just to get things moving before I really need it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I think it is more of what is called long term storage. If this is going to
be 6 months or longer then you may want to drain the gas and run the motor
long enough to starve it of gas. That is similar to what most manuals say.
Also pull the spark plug and add oil to the cylinder and replace the plug.
If less then I would just start it about every 2 weeks and let it run for
about 10 minuets.

I bought a new 5 kw generator about 10 years ago and opened the box to see
what it needed to get it going. closed up the box for a year. Put in the
oil and gas and it started up. Ran it for a couple of hours when the power
went out. Drained the gas and about a year later it started fine when I
needed it. This time I did not drain the gas and had other things going on
so it just sit. Would not start about a year later . Carburetor gummed up.
Cleaned it out and all was fine. That happened twice. Now I put in the
Sta-bil in the gas and start it up atleast every 3 weeks. It will usually
start with 2 or 3 pulls just as it always did when new. I think it is even
more important not to let the gas sit too long with out the Sta-bil as it
has that junk called ethanol in it. Or however you spell it.