Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:03:10 -0700, D Yuniskis
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Have you tried putting the drive into a PC and building/formatting
your four 10G partitions *there*? IIRC, FAT32 will support up to
~30G ...

FAT32 can support drives much larger than that. For example, I'm
running a 120GB drive on a Win98SE box with a FAT32 file system. You
may be thinking of Windows XP's artificial 32GB limit.

- Franc Zabkar

I may have made a mistake on that, it might be FAT 16. ? I'm not able to
verify that right now.

Anyway it is some kind of FAT system that my WinXP desktop recognises.

Having said that, I have looked at forums regarding drives for this unit and
it does seem you need at least a 10mSec access drive for reliability. It
needs to read and write up to 24 tracks of audio.
Would Roland have tried to supercharge (rather than reinvent) the wheel
here, or would they take off the shelf IDE drives and use bog standard
library software to write and read to it?

My new WD drive average is specified below this figure, though its absolute
max seek time is a quoted 20mSec. I wasn't able to clearly establish
what this forum quoted minimum 10mSecs actually means - average or absolute
maximum.

Maybe this is an issue?

Cheers,

Gareth.