Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Large IDE drives not compatable with old systems

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:42:55 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

Interesting stuff guys. Thanks.

In this case there is no OS on the disk at all, the 2480 does not boot
from it.
I have successfully upgraded the 2480's OS via MIDI onto its onboard
Flash, with no valid hard drive installed. The drive is purely storage.

Does this make things any easier?
Is cloning the new drive from the working (noisy) one a viable
proposition?

Cheers,

Gareth.

It is viable. Would need to be done in a PC, bit for Bit copy. But I'm
not sure if you need to clone it without me knowing the file system. I
snuck in here late, just what is the equipment. I've spent a couple
decades with digital recorders from Fostex, Otari and DVR recorders from
SA, Samsung and Cisco. The firmware embedded OS isn't a problem but I'd
like to do a little research on what a 2840 is.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=339

Its kinda old in technology terms, but not that old really.

Cheers,

Gareth.