Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default And it all turned out ok ... :-)

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Well, as it turned out, with the help of the info that Trev sent me, it
was actually staggeringly simple to realign. Of course, nothing's that
straightforward, is it ? After the tray was refitted and moving correctly
when hand cranked from underneath via the little gear that they kindly
give you to do just this, I put it back on power. The laser homed, the
display said "TRAY INIT", and that's as far as it went, before spitting
the tray out, coming to a stop, and the display changing to "TRAY OPEN".
Nothing then worked at all, until it was powered back off. Looking at the
area of the main PCB where the SMPS section is, there were several areas
that were quite badly scorched, and numerous small(ish) electrolytics were
located in these areas. A quick run over them with an ESR meter revealed
four of them to be virtually open,

**Good one Arfa. Your post reminded me of a job that came in a couple of
weeks ago. The client had left the item with a competitor, who made her pay
for a new output IC and a service manual (all at full retail, of course).
The company went belly-up before they could complete the repair, so they
handed the item back to my client. She brought it 'round and I did a few
tests on it. Everything pointed to a new output IC (why order a service
manual?), so I replaced it. No change. 7 small electros later and the thing
was performing nicely. Damned things. I don't even bother testing them
anymore. At 13c each, I just replace them.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au