Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Just a few thou can ruin a joint.

On 11/4/2010 4:46 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
wrote:
On Nov 4, 5:32 pm, (Larry W) wrote:
wrote:

Need and price are most certainly relative to the person that is going to
use the tool. When you get down to it, few of us need more than a pocket
knife to build our projects, but it sure is nice and convenient to have
those additional tools on hand.

Well of course it really comes down to opinion and individual preference
in this instance. For my own needs and preferences, I stand by my
statement of opinion that the Kerfmaker is an unnecessary, exorbitantly
priced, and overrated tool. I'll stick with the old method, accurate,
tried and true in my experience, and described in the past on the rec,
of cutting any old piece of scrap as a guide. YMMV and your opinion
may be different. That's what makes the world and usenet go round.

It's so much quicker to have firm opinions on tools you've never
used. And cheaper.

Indeed it is, I must admit when I first saw the B&D adjustable wrench with
a battery powered motor to do the adjusting, I reached a similar opinion
even more quickly. On the other hand, I really like my old Delta cast iron
tenoning jig, and there are plenty here on the rec that will tell me I'm a
fool for having one.

Wanna sell it? I have a more modern Delta tenoning jig and it's great (WHO
says a tenoning jig isn't as useful as a pocket on a shirt?) but if you have
the one I think you do then I'm jealous.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/