Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My latest invention: Bicycle Tire Chains

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 15:19:50 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

On 11/04/2010 03:40 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes.

I think the big problem is the brakes. Unless you go to disc brakes, the
traditional brake "calipers" are so close to the tire that it will be
REALLY difficult to put ANYTHING over the tires without it hitting some
part of the brakes. I could imagine a sort of knobby rubber belt that
wraps snugly around the tire, but I could also imagine it slipping off
sideways in turns or when maneuvering and locking up the wheel.

That's a very good point, thanks. :-)

So, I'd have to look at a lot of different bikes to see if there's a way
to work within those constraints.

Thanks!
Rich

Just get a spare set of rims and put on studded ice tires - or spiked
if you really want traction on hardpack.
50 #8 X 1/2" robertson screws will make an agressive "spiked" ice and
snow tire - 25 on each side in the outer lugs. You need a good liner
to protect the tube.