Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Iggy, Unbuntu and network card?

Bob La Londe wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2010-09-13, Jon Anderson wrote:
Quick question, do you have your EMC computer networked, and if so, via
wire or wireless? What card are you using? I looked up the Linksys card
in mine and it's not well supported. Looking for compatible cards, I see
a whole host of issues, including lack of WEP support in some.
I therefore assume there's other cards that will also have issues with
security. I could run a cable, I think I have one long enough. But will
have to research and see if the 3Com cards I have are compatible...

Do you know how to make a RJ-45 ethernet cable?

You want some CAT-5 cable (at least two pair, likely four pair).

You want a *good* RJ-45 crimper. (Some of the cheap ones tend
to fold the connector blades over instead of properly crimping them.

I have never experienced that from a cheap crimper, but I do cabling for a
living so what I think of as a cheap crimper may not be what you think of as
a cheap crimper. I have seen issues from not getting the right RJ-45
connector for the cable. The difference between those for round vs flat
cable are minor compared to getting the right one for stranded VS solid
wire. A stranded wire one will spear the conductor, while one for solid
wire will have offset points that skin the wire. It's a pain to order them
too. Most vendors just want to sell you what they have.

And a lot of them don't know which type they have.

enough left over to pay them.