Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DB connectors

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
? I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
? so i don't have to chase it around the bench. If I have many to do, I
? clamp a mating conncetor in the vise to safe time.
? ...

I use a small one like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Stand the vise on end so the solder cups are horizontal with the notch
up, and weight the wire to stay in place. Don't forget the heatshrink.
The vise puts the work low enought that you can rest your hand on the
bench to steady it.

DB connectors are a vacation at the beach compared to Lemo and Binder
solder connectors:
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch_detail.php?pid=6674

Except for not touching the tip I find puddle control for soldering
and TIG welding very similar. I practiced joining 4130 tubing for the
first time at school last night.

The worst were cables for old TV studio cameras with a lot of coax
and different sized pins. It could take you days to do one plug.

RCA was bad enough, but I've heard that the Philips cables were so
bad that guys would threaten to quit before they would repair one.

enough left over to pay them.