Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Block Planes?

I am not sure what you mean that it might take more strokes. That's not
quite true.

Low angle vs normal is more about endgrain.. not amount of strokes,
unless you need to back the blade off.

I recently purchased 3 very old Stanleys for $5. After a bit of elbow
grease I am really happy. Although my LN 60 1/2 is quite good, the old
stanleys are very good too. I got a Sweatheart No 18 pat 2-18-13
Another No 19 Pat Dec 28-86 and finally the another more modern unit a
No 19...

The number 18 is awesome... and in perfect shape after a little work.

Both the LV and LN are very good. I too recommend the Low Angle and a
second blade for normal angle. Just put a different angle on the second
blade. or use a micro bevel.

On 11/3/2010 8:38 PM, Upscale wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
In terms of features, what do folks think about low-angle vs normal, and
adjustable throats? The low angle planes seem to be recommneded for end
grain, which I have to deal with on occasion. Is there a downside to the
low angle?

The only downside I can think of is that planing might take a few more
strokes when you have a considerable amount of wood to remove. I bought the
Veritas 05P2501 low angle smoothing plane with 05P3001 jointer fence and
05P2502 A2 blade October of 2009. It has worked like a champ for almost all
of my planing needs. I highly recommend it. In fact I was so impressed with
the smoothing plane that about two months later, I went out and bought the
05P5120 plow plane with five blades as a Christmas present for myself.