Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Drawer issue

On Nov 4, 9:55*am, phorbin wrote:
says...

I'm willing to slide on the last one, as the US and Brits have split
on carcass/carcase, but the first two - no way. *Especially the first
- no final Xs unless it's a royalty lineage designation.

Just variant spellings of the same word. Carcass equals carcase (OED).
There are no further distictions to be made.

Agreed, that's why I said I'm willing to slide - but where's the fun
in that?

It derives from the word charcois.

Perhaps. Or Italian/Latin - you can never tell with those romantic
languages.

...and it all adds up to a frame of bones or wood on which something is
hung or was hung.

A frame is different than a carcase/carcass.
Frame
2. a rigid structure formed of relatively slender pieces, joined so
as to surround sizable empty spaces or nonstructural panels, and
generally used as a major support in building or engineering works,
machinery, furniture, etc.

Carcass/carcase refers to the body of the cabinet, as separate from
the doors and drawers. In days gone by it may have been a frame and
panel box, or a box from solid sawn boards. A frame is a skeleton.