Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default AHR regulars making money for web sites and not getting paid for it?

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 11/3/2010 2:43 PM, architecturalrealms wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.(snip)

This issue has come up before- I Googled myself (hairy palms be damned),
and of the several thousand hits to my name, well over half were AHR posts
that had been mirrored to 'forums' on various web sites. Us regulars and
semi-regulars are in effect providing free content to these sites, and
making them look a lot more active than they really are. I'd not be
surprised if they cook their books to make each harvested AHR message look
like a page hit, to pump up their ad rates.

Anybody have any ideas how to counteract this? Maybe a standard tag line
above the sig delimiter saying 'This post was made to the actual Usenet,
not to a stinkin' web forum! If you are reading this on a web site, don't
assume I have anything to do with this company or these people'. Or is
their harvesting software smart enough to strip off stuff like that?

Too bad you can't copyright Usenet posts....
--
aem sends...

Some sites leave your sig line as posted and others strip out as much or as
little as they please. The stripping part is fairly simple if you know a
little PHP language.

The homeowners flub is one of the ones that strips. Google Groups is one
that does not.

Frankly, I don't mind the republication provided my sig line is left intact
as I post it. The strippers do bother me.

To fully understand copyright and the difficulties of enforcing it read this
article: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Should any of you wish to publish a real article of 400 words or more and
not have a site, I will consider publishing it with your byline on my site.
It is always an open offer for the regulars of this group. One member of
this group has published.

--
Colbyt